Subject: Re: Whales

w. jones (mermaid@grove.ufl.edu)
Fri, 2 May 1997 11:54:03 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Lauren,
I think two of the most important issues facing whales today are the
continuation of whaling and pollution of the oceans.  There are at least 3
countries, Japan, Norway, and I believe Korea that still participate in
whaling.  Whale numbers decreased due to whaling.  Now they are beginning
to rise so these countries want to be able to catch more whales.  Also,
humans are dumping lots of trash and chemicals in the ocean.  This will
affect the food supply of the whales.  It will either kill their food or
cause toxic chemicals to build up in the tissue of the whales and
eventually kill them.  This process is called bioaccumulation.

I hope this has given you some ideas.  Good luck with your paper.  Drop a
line if you have more questions.

Have a good weekend.

W. Jones