Subject: Right whale name-origination

Lori Mazzuca (lorim@soest.hawaii.edu)
Mon, 5 May 1997 15:11:10 -1000 (HST)

Dear Michelle,
	Thank you for your question asking why/how the Right whales got
their name.  This species of whale was hunted to near extinction at the
turn of the century.  All of the whales were hunted for their oil.
Because this whale had such a high content of oil and a thick blubber
layer, it floated after it was killed.  This made it easy for the
whalers to find thier kill, therfore they  deemed it the "right" whale to
hunt.
	If you get a chance to see the IMAX film "Whales" you will learn
that along with many other facts about the great/baleen whales.

	I hope this helps you out!  Good luck!
Sincerely,
Lori Mazzuca