Subject: Migration

Lori Mazzuca (lorim@soest.hawaii.edu)
Mon, 5 May 1997 15:40:16 -1000 (HST)

Dear Elizabeth,
	Thank you for your question regarding differences in whale
migration between the hemispheres.  I will use the humpback whale as an
example because I know most about them.  The humpbacks do the same thing,
regardless of whether they live in the northern or southern hemisphere.
Around the globe, humpbacks feed in colder latitudes in the summer
months and migrate to warmer latitudes in the winter months in order to
calve, nurse their young, and breed.
	For example, in the Pacific ocean, those humpbacks found
in the northern hemisphere feed near Alaska and migrate to places like
Hawaii and Baja to calve and breed. Whereas those is the southern
hemisphere feed in the colder waters of Southern Antarctica
and migrate the warmer waters of Australia to breed. Although they are
doing the same thing, the seasons are reversed.  Therefore, the animals
from the northern hemisphere are never near the equator at the same time
as those from the southern hemisphere.
	I hope this helps you out.  If you want to learn more, the library
or local bookstore probably has some good information. Good luck!

Sincerely,
Lori Mazzuca