Subject: Humpback Whales in Hawaii

Lori Mazzuca (lorim@soest.hawaii.edu)
Tue, 6 May 1997 13:36:28 -1000 (HST)

Dear Jason,
	Thank you for your question asking what type of whales are in
Hawaii and how many are in a pod.
	To answer your first question, there is one type of "Great Whale"
or "Baleen Whale" that visits Hawaii every year.  The humpback whale, a
mysticete, comes each year from Alaska to have their calves, to nurture
them, and to breed.  The humpback begins arriving in Novemeber and the
bulk of them are here by Feb/March.  The humbacks then begin leaving as
the summer months approach so that by May most of the whales are headed
back to Alaska. By June, the humpbacks are back in Alaska where they feed.
	As far as how many in a pod....it can be any number of animals,
including only one.  Even a single whale is referred to as a "pod." In
Hawaii, we see one, two, and three animal pods most often.
	Thank you for your question.
Sincerely,
Lori Mazzuca