Subject: Blue whale

Lori Mazzuca (lorim@soest.hawaii.edu)
Thu, 8 May 1997 16:43:32 -1000 (HST)

Dear Larisa,
	Thank you for inquiring about blue whales.  I could write you
pages on the blue whale, but that wouldn't cover what we still do not know
about them.  I can tell you that the blue whale is probably the largest
animal to ever have lived on the earth.  It reaches known lengths of
100-110 feet long, it's heart is the size of a volkswagon bug, and
elemtary school aged children can walk through their arteries like
tunnels!  Unfortunately, humans whaled them to near extinction during the
time of commercial whaling.
	I can tell you of several good books that have blue whale
information in them.  The easiest one to find (and probably the best one
for your report) would be "The Book of Whales" by Richard Ellis--pages
50-59.  That should be in a library and if not it is in almost every
bookstore.  Just look for books about whales and you will find what little
we know about the blue whale in some part of the book.
	Also, the Discovery channel aired a show on the blue whale--with
footage and research done by Bruce Mate.  That might be another way to
learn about them.  If you have an IMAX theatre nearby, see if the newly
released film "Whales" is playing.  The film covers the blue, right, and
humpback whales.
	I hope this information helps you. Good luck on your report!
Sincerely,
Lori