Subject: Evolution of whales

Lori Mazzuca (lorim@soest.hawaii.edu)
Thu, 8 May 1997 17:00:17 -1000 (HST)

Dear Earl,
	Thank you for inquiring about the skeletal evolution of whales.  I
am afraid that I know very little about the evolution and literature I
have read varies!  However, the common theme notes the important
trend of presence of hind limbs in the early fossil members.  The only
known fossil remains which have been found in the Himalyan region of
Pakistan and India, as well as in Egypt and Nigeria, suggest that most
Protocetidae were small-bodied animals less than 3m (10 feet) long.
	My suggestion to you, since I don't know who to refer you to, is
to subscribe to  Marmam and/or Mammal-l (these are listservers
specializing in mammals/marine mammals) and ask you question via that
avenue. (marmam editors:  marmamed@UVic.CA)  I no longer belong to
mammal-l.
	Good luck!
Sincerely,