Subject: Migration: Humpback whale

Lori Mazzuca (lorim@soest.hawaii.edu)
Fri, 9 May 1997 09:36:48 -1000 (HST)

Dear Jody,
	Thank you for your questions about the migrations of humpback
whales and eagles in the North Pacific.  I am afraid I cannot help you
with the migration of the eagle but I would recommend going to the library
on that one.  The information shouldn't be difficult to find.
	As far as the humpback whale goes, yes, the humpback migrates
annually from Alaska to Hawaii and back.  Humpbacks are on their way back
to Alaska as we speak.  The whales begin arriving in Hawaii in late
November of each year.  The whales are calving and breeding while they
are in Hawaii and they begin their migration back to Alaska beginning in
April of each year.  By June, the humbacks are back in Alaska where they
feed.  This trip is over 3,000 miles and takes an estimated 40 days.
	You might see a few humpbacks, but the bulk of them are in
transit.  We still have a few stragglers sticking around Hawaii still.
I hope you see some!  Look for Orcas though!  And be sure to ask people
who are native to the area what to see and where.  Good luck and Have
fun!

Sincerely,
Lori Mazzuca