Subject: Narwhal

Lori Mazzuca (lorim@soest.hawaii.edu)
Wed, 14 May 1997 10:25:42 -1000 (HST)

Dear A-Man and T-Man,
	Thank you for all of your good questions. Since I have been
overwhelmed with questions, I will answer one question in each message
from your class.  Keep in mind that for each of the messages your class
sends containing 20 or more questions, there are other students and
classes doing the same.  In this multitude of questions I will answer the
question:

What is the horn on the Narwhal used for?

The spiraling tusk on the Narwhal is found mostly on males.  It is
actually a tooth, usually the right tooth, that develops in this manner.
It is something that baffled scientists for years but we know now that it
is probably used like the antlers of a deer, in fights over females and as
a visual display of strength.