Subject: Breaching

Lori Mazzuca (lorim@soest.hawaii.edu)
Wed, 14 May 1997 10:40:12 -1000 (HST)

Dear Adam and Vincent,
	Thank you for all of your questions.  Many of the questions asked
from your class are duplicates of those asked by your classmates.  I might
suggest that as a class project you each go to the library and research
one question each.  It will be more meaningful and you will learn more if
you seek some of these answers in published books.  For today, I will
answer one question that is a commonly asked question.

Why do whales breach?

For the most part, much of a whales behavior remains a mystery to us.
However, after years of observation and study, there are several theories
as to why whales breach.  They may be trying to break barnacles off of their
bodies. (Barnacles are a parasite that attach in the colder latitudes.)
In courtship, it might be used to challenge another male or males or
possibly used as a show of power and/or strength.  There are times whales
appear to use it aggressively at another animal.  I have seen a whale
breach when agitated that it was partially entangled in net. There are
also times it appears to be playful.  The whale may breach simply to come
out of the water and feel air just as humans like to take a dip in a pool
from time to time.

Sincerely,
Lori