Subject: Acoustics

Lori Mazzuca (lorim@soest.hawaii.edu)
Wed, 14 May 1997 11:26:55 -1000 (HST)

Dear Robyn,
	Thank you for your question.  I will do the best I can, but much
of cetacean hearing remains a mystery.

What specific frequencies do whales hear?
Most of the toothed whales, odontocetes, hear and produce high frequency
sounds.  Some of the toothed whales hear and produce both high and medium
frequency sounds.  The baleen whales, mysticetes, hear and produce mostly
low frequency sounds.  The definition of sound frequencies (taken from
information used for ATOC) is as follows:
High Frequency:		>1000 Hz
Medium Frequency:	100-1000 Hz
Low Frequecny:		<100 Hz

If you need more specific information, try a library search using
cetacean + acoustic. Names such as Roger Payne and Peter Tyack are
knowledgabe and well published on the subject matter.  Try a search for
their names.  Roger Payne has done a lot with baleen whales, like the
humpback. This is a very specialized area of study.  It sounds like an
interesting paper--good luck!

Sincerely,
Lori