Subject: Migration

Lori Mazzuca (lorim@soest.hawaii.edu)
Wed, 14 May 1997 12:05:12 -1000 (HST)

Dear Gina, Melissa, and Jaqueline:
	Thank you for your questions.  I will answer them in ALL CAPITAL
LETTERS  within your text below.  If you need more information, there are
many excellent books and scientific articles published today.  You can
find them at your nearby library or bookstore.  Good luck with your
project!  Sincerely, Lori

On Tue, 13 May 1997 Macca21@aol.com wrote:

> We are doing a project for school on whales.  My friends and I just can't
> figure out the solutions to the questions that need answering:
>        1. How do whales find there way home after winter is over?
THERE ARE MANY THEORIES.  RECENTLY HUMPBACK WHALES HAVE BEEN SATELLITE
TAGGED IN HAWAII JUST BEFORE THEY RETURN TO ALASKA.  BEFORE THE TAGS QUIT
TRANSMITTING LAST YEAR, THE WHALES WERE FOLLOWING MAGNETIC NORTH
RATHER THAN TRUE NORTH.  THIS SUGGESTS THAT WHALES MIGHT USE THE EARTH'S
MAGNETIC FIELD TO NAVIGATE.
	> 2. Do whales swim in packs? >
WHALES TRAVEL IN GROUPS CALLED PODS.  EACH SPECIES VARIES IN THIS MODE OF
TRAVEL.  THE TOOTHED WHALES, ODONTOCETES, TRAVEL IN LARGER PODS AND MANY
REMAIN IN TIGHT FAMILY UNITS--LIKE THE ORCA.  THE BALEEN WHALES,
MYSTICETES, ARE OFTEN FOUND ALONE, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF MOTHERS AND
CALVES, YET TEND TO MIGRATE DISTANCES IN LARGER PODS.
	 3. How can whales travel long distances without eating? >
WHALES STORE THEIR FOOD IN A LAYER--CALLED THE BLUBBER LAYER.  THIS
RESERVE ENABLES THEM TO GO FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME WITHOUT EATING--SOME
AS LONG AS 6 OR MORE MONTHS.
	 4. How do whales migrate?
BY SOME MEANS, MOSTLY UNKNOWN AND/OR NOT PROVEN, THEY NAVIGATE THEIR WAY
THROUGH THE OPEN OCEAN.  AGAIN, THEY MAY USE THE EARTHS MAGNETIC FIELD.

If you could help us out in any way we would be eternally greatful? Thanx