Subject: Humpback Whale

Lori Mazzuca (lorim@soest.hawaii.edu)
Wed, 14 May 1997 12:37:54 -1000 (HST)

Dear Andie,
	Thank you for your questions about humpback whales.
1.  What do humpback whales eat?
	They eat small schooling fish (like capelin or herring) and krill.
Krill is a tiny crustacean no larger than your pinkie finger, looks like a
shrimp, and is a very rich source of protien.  The can eat up to a ton of
food in one day.
2.  Are humback whales in danger?
	Yes.  They are listed as an endangered species and they are
protected worldwide.  There used to be approximately 120,000 humbacks
worldwide and as a result of commercial whaling, their numbers were
estimated to be somewhere around 10,000. Today, even though they have
been protected since the early 1970's, they are no where near the number
they used to be.  Threats to them today are some whaling, pollution, and
other interactions with human activity (mainly vessels and things
related to fishing activity)
3.  Where do humpbacks live?
	They live in oceans around the world....in colder waters
(latitudes) in the summer months where they feed and then in warmer waters
(latitudes) in the winter months where they give birth to their calves,
nurture them, and breed.

I hope these answers help you.  There are also many excellent books
published today.

Sincerely,
Lori