Subject: Sleep -- Do Whales sleep?

Lori Mazzuca (lorim@soest.hawaii.edu)
Wed, 14 May 1997 13:12:34 -1000 (HST)

Dear Darius, Maxi, and Hiroshi:
	I will answer one of your questions:  Do whales ever sleep?

Cetaceans are conscious breathers.  They have a voluntary breathing
response whereas we have an involuntary response.  That means they have to
think about each breath.  If they fell asleep for hours they would die.
Therefore, they are found resting at the surface for 10-15 minutes at a
times---sort of napping.

Sincerely,
Lori