Subject: Hair

Lori Mazzuca (lorim@soest.hawaii.edu)
Fri, 16 May 1997 08:23:08 -1000 (HST)

Dear Kathy,
	Thank you for your question, do whales have hair?  Yes.  That is
one of the things that make them a mammal.  To be classified as a mammal
a mammal must give live birth, nurse their young, breathe air, be warm
blooded, and have hair. Even though they have evolved to become
streamlined, thus losing their hair, whales and dolphins are born with
hair.  Believe it or not they are born with facial hair--like whiskers.
Early on, the calf will lose the whiskers but the hair follicle will
remain.  On a dolphin you can see the white spots along their rostrum.  On
a right whale the white patches called "callosities" occur where hair
follicles are present.  These whales often appear to have mustaches,
eyebrows, beards, and even side-burns.  On a humpback whale there are
knobs or bumps on it's head called "tubercles."  These tubercles are
actually the hair follicle.
	I hope this helps.  Have fun!
Aloha-
Lori