Subject: Whale watching Boston Harbour Area

Lindsay J Porter (H9390327@hkucc.hku.hk)
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 21:13:15 +0800

Dear Dominic,
JUST REALISED THAT THE TITLE OF  YOUR MESSAGE SAID BOSTON HARBOUR - I SAW
ALASKA IN THE MESSAGE AND IMMEDIATELY ANSWERED FOR THERE - WHOOOPPPSS!
Sorry
Here is some info for whale watching in Maine area - also includes a website
reference

http://www.acadia.net/whale/

The Gulf of Maine is an important feeding ground for some of the larger
whales - as well as being used all year round by small cetaceans and
phocids.  This area is also known for sightings of basking sharks and a
variety of sea birds.  The species of whales likely to be seen include
Humpbacks, fins, minkes and - rarely- the endangered northern right whale.
September would appear to be a good time to see
whales as this is the beginning of feeding time whereas small cetceans can
be seen all year round.  Small cetaceans include harbour porpoise, pilot
whales  and bottlenose dolphins.  There are many whalewatching companies -
according to info on the web - one of which works in collaboration with the
Biology Department of Wheelock and Simmons College, Boston (Whalewatching
Inc.)

An additional reference which wold appear to be helpful (although I haven't
read it, it has received good reviews)

>Corrigan, Patricia. The Whale Watcher's Guide: Whale-Watching Trips in
North America. Chester, Connecticut: Globe
>Pequot, 1991; Minocqua, Wisconsin: NorthWord Press, 1994. (A revised and
expanded edition of Where the Whales Are:
>A Directory of Whale-Watching Trips in North America. Chester, Connecticut:
The Globe Pequot Press, 1991.)

>"You won't find a more thorough resource on North-American whale-watching
>tours and related museums, aquariums, science centers, national parks,
marine >sanctuaries, and monuments. Also included are great tips on whale
watching, as >well as lists of whale conservation and research
organizations, adopt-a-whale >programs, and suggested reading"

Apologies again
Lindsay Porter

email h9390327@hkucc.hku.hk
Dolphin Research Group