Subject: whaling laws

Leah R. Gerber (leah@fish.washington.edu)
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 14:39:00 -0700

>I'm a fishery biologist working on environmental impact assessements in
>Alaska, and need to know a little about international harvest of whales.
> Could you tell me, or let me know the best sources for finding out, how many
>whales of which types are targeted by the whaling nations, worldwide?  Is the
>harvest considered legal under applicable international or nation-specific
>law? What is the prospect for harvest in the future, is it expected to
>change, increase, etc.?  Any information would be apprectiated.  Thanks.
> Mike Prewitt   mpwho@aol.com

Hello Mike,

The best source of information for whaling regulations, catch limits and
whaling nations is the International Whaling Commissions (IWC)
"International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling, 1946," as ammended.
You can attain this document from:

The Red House
Station Road, Histon
Cambridge, United Kingdon, CB4 4NP

Regulations governing the taking of whales are based on the IWC
classification of partilar stocks.  For example, no commercial whaling is
permitted for protected stocks, which are below 10% of their Maximum
Sustainable Yield. The Convention specifies catch limits for each whale
stock, as well as international laws for commercial whaling.

Good Luck!

Leah