Subject: whale migrations

Yankee Fleet: Carol Hill/Lisa Foerster (yankee@tiac.net)
Wed, 23 Jul 1997 15:37:00 -0700

Dear Marni -

There are many different species of cetaceans (whales, dolphins and
porpoises) in the world.  In general, we know very little about the
migrations of most species!  As a rule, manyh baleen whales have an
equatorial migration during the winter.  Therefore, Southern Hemisphere
migrators will undergo their winter migration during the Norhtern
Hemisphere's summer, and vice versa.  For instance, the humpbacks of the
Southern Hemisphere should be migrating back to there summer feeding
grounds (toward the polar regions) during the next couple of months.
Likewise, the population of humpbacks in the Northern Hemisphere are now
in their summer feeding grounds and in October and November will start
heading south to mate and bear their young.

Unfortunately, the migrations of many other species like the fin whale
and right whale are still rather mysterious, with only a small portion of
the populations accounted for during the winter time!

I hope this helps.  A very good reference book to try is the Sierra Club
Handbook of Whales and Dolphins, by Stephen Leatherwood and Randall R.
Reeves.  This might help answer some of your specific questions, as well.

Good luck, and happy whale watching!

Sincerely,

Lisa Foerster
Director, Center for Oceanic Research and Education
yankee@tiac.net