Subject: Pacific Northwest whalewatching

Leah R. Gerber (leah@fish.washington.edu)
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 13:22:18 -0700

>At 10:16 AM 7/18/97 +0000, Michael.N.Kellner@CLEV.frb.org wrote:
>     I will be in the San Juan/Vancouver island area the week of 10-26-97.
>     I am very interested in whales and would like to do some whale
>     watching.
>
>     I have not been able to find any definitive information on how long
>     the two resident orca groups stay in the "Inside Passage" area.  Are
>     they normally gone by late October?  If not, which group(s) are still
>     around?
>
>     I also understand that there is a group of grey whales that remain in
>     the waters near Tofino until the fall migration.  Should they still be
>     around there in late October?
>
>     I would greatly appreciate any information you can provide.  THANKS

Dear Michael,

There are actually three resident pods (J, K, and L) of Orcas which live in
the San Juan Islands. Approximately 96 whales make up the pods and are
usually found on the west coast of San Juan Island until mid to late-July.
After this time, they head north towards Vancouver Island.

You should see some gray whales in waters off Torfino in October.

Here are some numbers of a few whale watching companies in the San Juan's
that might be able to give you more detailed information on the location
of the whales during the times you are going to be in the Pacific
Northwest.

San Juan Boat Tours 1-800-232-ORCA
Deer Harbor Charters 1-800-544-5758
San Juan Excursions Inc. 1-800-80-WHALE