Subject: satellite tag attatchment

Leah R. Gerber (leah@fish.washington.edu)
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 14:44:48 -0700

>At 07:30 PM 7/20/97 -0700, Meyer Family wrote:
>Dear Leah
>
>I was wonderdering how these satellite instruments are attatched to the
>right whales. Are these glued, bolted or fired into the whale?
>
>Many thanks
>
>Mike Meyer

Dear Mike,

Satellite-tags may be attatched as you mention, by gluing and bolting, as
well via suction cup or darting. In a study done by the Minerals Management
Service (MMS) in 1992, satellite-monitored radio tags were used to study the
movements and dive habits of right whales inhabiting the Bay of Fundy.  Part
of the study was to determine whether tagging had noticeable adverse affects
on the whales.
The primary deployment system was a dart fired from a crossbow.  The tags
were placed high on the back, approximately 1 m behind the blowhole.
Scientists concluded that this type of satellite tagging does not cause
serious stress or pose a serious health risk to right whales.

Cheers, Leah