Subject: Flick feeding

Yankee Fleet: Carol Hill/Lisa Foerster (
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 15:25:41 -0700

Flick feeding is a special variation on bubble-cloud feeding wherein a 
humpback whale uses a combination of a lob-tail (flick of the tail), and 
a bubble cloud to corral fish.  We most often see the lob-tail feeding or 
flick feeding when the humpbacks are feeding at the surface on sand eels. wrote:
> Hi.  I forgot what the symbols mean on the logs submitted by whale boats such
> as
> ba, bp, la, mn etc.  Can you send them to me?  Also what is flick feeding?  I
> am reading deep feeding and flick feeding on the lists whereas you used to
> report bublle feeding .  What is the difference?  Thanks much. Gayle