Subject: humpback eating habits

Yankee Fleet: Carol Hill/Lisa Foerster (yankee@tiac.net)
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 15:34:01 -0700

Dear Giselle -

Humpback whales, in fact, fast during the winter months.  They live
almost exclusively off of their blubber layer durint the wintertime,
which means that they can lose up to 1/3 of their body weight or 8-12
tons each winter!  Summertime is when these whales replenish that
important blubber layer, so they can migrate again the next winter and
start the cycle again!