Subject: Tracking whalesTracking whales

Leah R. Gerber (leah@fish.washington.edu)
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 10:50:37 -0700

At 10:26 PM 7/22/97 -0400, Michele Kaldrovics wrote:
>I am a 4th grade teacher interested in conducting an internet-based
>project with my class this year. Can you tell me where to find info
>about tracking whales or whales and phytoplankton?
>        Thank you!

Dear Michele,

Some good internet sites to find information relating to whales are:

http://nmml01.afsc.noaa.gov
http://whale.wheelock.edu/Welcome.html
htp://earth.simmons.edu

The first address is for the National Marine Mammal Laboratory.  The
second address is for Whalenet, which focuses on whales and marine
research.  The third site is for Environet. The purpose of this project
is to enhance environmental science education in the K-12 community
throughout New England and the nation with the use of telecommunication
technology.

I hope this information will help you get started.  Another idea is to do
a search on the internet for "whales" and "phytoplankton" and see where it
leads you.  But, as always, be cautious about the quality of information
found at some of the web sites out there!

Cheers, Leah