Subject: Trophic level of humpback and fin whales

Yankee Fleet: Carol Hill/Lisa Foerster (yankee@tiac.net)
Mon, 18 Aug 1997 14:29:28 -0700

> What trophic level are the humpback and finbac whales on?

 The humpback and fin whales feed very low on the food chain, on
zooplankton (krill and
other small invertebrate zooplankton) as well as on small bait fishes
such as tinker
mackerel (juvenile), smaller herring and sand lance.

> What kind of programs are there that help the endangered species, like
> (humpback and finback)?

There are many research groups such as ours, the Center for Oceanic
Research and
Education, that are dedicated to the study and conservation of cetaceans
and their
marine environment.  We are a not-for-profit organization, just like tens
of others
along the coast.