Subject: Re: What is a LORAN?

Yankee Fleet: Carol Hill/Lisa Foerster (yankee@tiac.net)
Wed, 03 Sep 1997 16:10:52 -0700

LORAN (which is an acronym for Long Range Aid to Navigation) is basically
a system utilizing radio frequencies and receivers to plot one's way
through the ocean.  It can be compared to Latitude/Longitude, but is
different in many respects.  The numbers that one reads on the LORAN
machine are radio freqencies sent out by beacons on shore.  One can
compare it to the LCD display on your regular music radio.  The numbers
received are a measure of your distance from the source. When you buy a
marine chart, these numbers are plotted on the chart so one can see one's
location by comparing the readout on the LORAN machine and the numbers on
the chart.

On our whale watches we often use the 44 line and the 13 line.  They are
roughly perpendicular.  As the readout of our 44 line decreases, that
indicates a southerly movement of our vessel.  A decrease in the 13 line
indicates an easterly movement.

I hope this clears it up slightly.  It would be much easier for me to
show you in person, so if you're able to visit Yankee Fleet in
Gloucester, I'd be glad to help!

Sincerely,

Lisa Foerster
Director, Center for Oceanic Research and Education
Chief Naturalist, Yankee Whale Watch