Subject: Behavioral Development (fwd)

Mon, 8 Sep 1997 12:37:44 -0400 (EDT)

Subject: Re: About Behavioral Development

     This certainly sounds worthy from a scientific viewpoint.  I would be
     interested in knowing how the data was actually collected, based on
     the data collection techniques described by Altmann (1974).  I would
     suggest asking Wang Ding at the Institute for some suggestions of
     other scientists to speak with about this.  Also, a review of the
     literature on captive dolphins will let you know who to contact.  My
     expertise was working with free-ranging dolphins.  I forwarded your
     request to a colleague who is currently doing some behavioral work in
     Japan, for her opinion.  She has much experience with such work,
     including ethograms.  I am also forwarding a copy of your message to
     the marine mammal discussion group.  Perhaps you will hear from
     someone who can assist you better.

     Best wishes for your project.

     Dagmar

Subject: About Behavioral Development
Author:  "WANG; Kexiong" <dolphin@wip.whcnc.ac.cn> at ~smtp
Date:    9/6/97 1:36 AM

Dear Sir or Madam:
I am a graduate student in Institute of Hydrobiology, the Chinese Academy of
Sciences

The thesis I am studying is "Behavioral development of the Yangtze finless
porpoise
in captivity".

The porpoises (one male and one female) were captured and kept in a pool last
December, then I began to record their behaviors half-hour every day or every
other
day. I have had a lot of records of the porpoises' breathing, swimming, playing,

and interacting. I am going to stop recording the coming December. I expect to
find
some regular patterns about the porpoise's behavioral development.

Please tell me whether the thesis is scientific and appropriate or not?

Thank you very much!

WANG, kexiong