Subject: Re: Humpback whale- population estimates

Dr. Cathy Schaeff (schaeff@american.edu)
Wed, 01 Oct 1997 14:09:30 +0000

Sunni12482@aol.com wrote:

> Cathy,
>      I need information on the humpback whale for a major science paper.  One
> of the questions that I really need to know and cannot find is the
> approximate population of humpback whales.  Do you know, or do you know of
> any places that might tell me?
>
> Thanks.
Sunni,

       There are approximately 10,000  Humpbacks (considered an
Endangered Species); this is believed to be a small fraction of number
in existence prior to depletion by whaling. Largest populations (and
therefore presumed to be healthiest) are in the western north Atlantic
Ocean. Other populations (small ones) exist near Beguia, Cape Verde,
Greenland, and Tonga. Like many whales, humpbacks were hunted on their
polar feeding grounds (insted of their tropical breeding grounds).  More
than 100,000 humpbacks were killed by whalers thoughout the modern
whaling era.

Hope this helps!  Cathy Schaeff
--
Dr. Cathy Schaeff