Subject: Killer whales

Martine Berube (martine@newt.bio.uci.edu)
Mon, 13 Oct 97 22:15:31 -0700

At 10.48 PM 13-10-1997 -0400, you wrote:
>I have always been interested in Killer Whales and always assumed that they
>only live in the Northern Pacific. I have recently read that they also
>inhabit the Hudson Bay area. Is this true and if so are they ever spoted=
 off
>the coast of New England?

Killer whales are in fact found in all parts of all oceans. To my knowledge,
in the North Atlantic, they are seen regularly in the Gulf of St. Lawrence,
the coast of Newfoundland/Labrador and off Iceland. I am not aware of
sightings off the coast of New England but they are probably seen there
also. The species shows an irregular pattern of migration, probably governed
by the availability of food, which makes their observation more difficult.
Martine B=E9rub=E9