Subject: Re: whale watching

Dr. Cathy Schaeff (schaeff@american.edu)
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 16:53:32 +0000

Theoubled@aol.com wrote:

> Dear Cathy,
>
> I read with interest your response to Tom about tims of the yer to go to
> Alaska to watch the greatest creature on earth. Sadly I couldn't find the
> exact question.  Can you help me with this one?
>
> My parents (age 75+) are wanting to make a trip of alifetime to see the
> whales.  They will spend a lot of hard earned money (they are not wealthy)
> and will be trvelling from England.
>
> >From your experience/knowledge when is the bst time for whale watching in
> Alaska and for other wildlife matters there.  What are the best waysto see it
> ?
>
> Look forward to hearing from you.
>
> Thanks
>
> Don

Hi Don,

What I had suggested to Tom was that he contact some of the cruise
companies.  They put together videos for potential cruisees and it is
worth looking at a few before trying to outline your trip.  If your
parents want to head to Alaska, then smaller ships may be better than
some of the really large ships 'cause they can get into small bays
rather than just the main water ways but it really depends on what sort
of focus your parents want for their trip.  Alternatively, they could go
whale watching on the east coast, perhaps at Cape Cod or parts of Maine
(there are right whales, fin whales, blue whales, minkes, humpbacks and
sperm whales).  Either way, they'll want to plan their trip for the
summer months when the whales are on their feeding grounds.

i hope they get to go -- it really is fabulous to see the huge animals
cavorting.  Cathy Schaeff
--
Dr. Cathy Schaeff
Biology Department