Subject: Whale oil....

Martine Berube (martine@newt.bio.uci.edu)
Sat, 25 Oct 1997 15:31:08 -0700

Dear Phil,
Oil from whales, particularly the sperm whale's oil, WAS used mainly for
lubrification and leather tanning but also for a large variety of
applications such as chemical, pharmaceutical, textile industry and yes,
you were right , in cosmetics. However, this is certainly not the case
anymore as there are available substitutes to produce the cosmetic
products.
I hope this will help to resolve your argument,
Sincerely,
Martine

>Hello,
>   My name is Phil and me and my swimming coach were having an argument the
>other day. I told him that they use oil from whales in makeup, cosmetices,
>etc. He said that wasn't true, so I told him I would prove it to him, but
>nobody seems to have that kind of info so I figured it would be best if I
>asked the people who know. Thanks!
>   Sincerely,
>   Philip Van Steenburgh

Martine Berube
Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
University of California
Irvine, CA, 92697-2525
PHONE:714-824-8680
FAX:714-824-2181