Subject: Echolocation

Courtney Stirling Casey (stirling@gsosun1.gso.uri.edu)
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 19:53:14 -0500 (EST)

Macatac,
	Echolocation is the process by which whales and dolphins send out
 low (infrasonic) or high frequency (ultrasonic) "sound" into the water
column.  Then, the whale will receives a reverberated or bounced sound in
return. Based on how this return sound is distorted, information about the
whale/dolphins environment can be learned.  Some whales use echolocation
to navigate during their extended migrations.  Dolphins can use
echolocation to determine where food or obstacles are in the water.  The
ocean is relatively cloudy compared to air, so echolocation serves as the
eyes for many whales and dolphins.
	Hope this helps.  I am sure that your school library will also
have information for you on echolocation.

Courtney