Subject: internships

Courtney Stirling Casey (stirling@gsosun1.gso.uri.edu)
Sun, 9 Nov 1997 17:45:52 -0500 (EST)

Miriam,
	I think the best thing for you to do is to contact oragnizations
nad let them know that you re interested in learning about their
internship opportunities.  From your email address it looks like youa re
out in California, correct?  Try calling the Monteray Aquarium.  Find out
who is doing cetacean research at Oregon State University (Bruce Mate does
radiotagging there) and give them a call or ssend them an email.  Look at
the aothors on some of the papers you have used as references for your
honors thesis and get in touch with those authors.  On the east coast I
know that the Cetacean Research Unit, in Gloucester MA, The New England
Aquarium in Boston, MA, and the Center for Coastal Studies in
Provincetown, MA all offer some internship opportunities.  Also, check out
the Society for Marine Mammalogy web site.  Good luck.  Be persistent and
don't be afraid to call people directly.

Courtney