Subject: Pilot Whales

Lindsay J Porter (h9390327@hkucc.hku.hk)
Sat, 6 Dec 1997 13:23:30 +0800

>      Hi! I have to a big science report and I was wondering if you know any
>info. on the Long-Finned Pilot Whale?  Can you send me any info. you have.
>Can you also give me other sites that might have some info?

Dear Day,
Having just had a request for pilot whale info in general I shall paste in
my answer to that - and have also included some websites.   If you need more
info then please email again.

The following site has  a good account of the species.
http://www.oit.itd.umich.edu/bio/doc.cgi/Chordata/Mammalia/Cetacea/Delphinid
ae/Globicephala_melaena.ftl

best wishes
Lindsay J Porter

>Pilot Whales
>There are two species of pilot whale;
>Globicepala melas - the long finned pilot whale
>Globicephala macrorhynchus - the short finned pilot whale

>Long finned pilot whales are found in temperate and sub-polar zones, in
both oceanic and some coastal waters.  Those populations found in southern
waters are isolated from those found in northern.  Long-finned pilot whales
are highly social - occurring in groups of 20, 100 to over a 1000
individuals.  These groups are stable over long time periods.  The species
displays sexual dimorphism - females being 5.7m in length nand males 6.7m -
and males can weigh as much as 2000kg.  Their diet consists of squid and
'medium-sized' fish, which they dive to great depth to catch.  This species
often forages in  ranks - sometimes with other species.  Although the
species quite often displays above water, groups are quite often seen
'rafting' on the surface - presumabley resting.

>Both species have extremely long tappered flippers and are dark brownish
grey to black in colour.  Males have a more bulbeous head than females and
it is difficult to distinguish the two species in areas where populations
overlap - the long-finned has a longer dorsal fin cf. to the short-finned
(intuitively enough!)  Long-finned have a light grey saddle patch behind the
dorsal fin - as do short-finned but in addition, short finned have a pair of
parellel light bands on its back, extending from eye to saddle patch.

>BOTH species are classed by the IUCN as "Insufficiently known"  and threats
to  long-finned pilot whales include drive fisheries in the Faroe Isles and
incidental catch in the western north Atlantic and the Mediterranean.

>Short-finned Pilot Whales
>
>Look on Song of the Whales website for info on their studies on
short-finned pilot whales and pictures

>http://www.ifaw.org/pilot.htm
>(Copy of text from Song page)
>
>Size : Adults grow up to 5.5m (females) and 6.1m (males), and adult males
may weigh up to 3,600kg. They are about 1.8m long at birth.

>Geographical Distribution : Found in warm temperate and tropical waters
worldwide, these odontocetes are not usually found north of 50 degrees, or
south of 40 degrees. Outside this range, their niche is filled by their
long-finned relatives,
>Globicephala melas, the long-finned pilot whales.
>
>Expliotation : Pilot whales have been hunted by coastal fisheries
throughout their range. The largest recent catches have occured off Japan,
where coastal whale fisheries account for a few hundred annually and in the
Caribbean.

>Pilot whales are a highly social species with a wide vocal repertoire. They
dive deep to feed, it is thought predominantly, on the squid they find
there. Their complex social structure includes females suckling the young of
their relatives, for up to 15 years after they become post reproductive at
an age of about 35 years. The extremely tight bonds of this matrilinear
social structure may account for the frequent mass strandings involving
pilot whales.

>Additional Information can be obtained from the Food and Agricultural
Organization of the United Nations (FAO) Guide to Marine Mammals of the
World.  Jefferson, T., Leatherwood, S. and Webber, M. 1993.   Rome: FAO.
ISBN 92-5-103292-0

email h9390327@hkucc.hku.hk
Dolphin Research Group
The Swire Institute of Marine Science