Subject: Killer Whales and giant squid

Jen Philips (jphilips@soest.hawaii.edu)
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:32:08 -1000 (HST)

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, KRichar547 wrote:

> Hi, my son has been having discussions with his classmates regarding something
> he read.  He read that Giant Squid can fight with Killer Whales and win the
> battle.  His teacher does not believe it.  Can you help him?

Your son is only half right, but close.  I personally have never heard of
giant squid interacting at all with killer whales.  But, I think he may be
thinking of the sperm whale.  Sperm whales may be the deepest diving of the
whales and dolphins, diving to over 3000 feet to look for its prey, giant
squid.  The squid can grow to 40 feet or more, and considering the fact
that sperm whales grow to about 50-60 feet, you can imagine the battle
that might be possible!  Many sperm whales have been seen with injuries
from such battles.

Hope this helps!

Aloha -
Jen Philps

Jennifer D. Philips				jphilips@soest.hawaii.edu

Marine Mammal Research Program - HIMB		(808) 236-4001
University of Hawaii, Manoa
Honolulu, HI  96822	      "First, there were some amoebas. Deviant
			       amoebas adapted better to the environment,
			       thus becoming monkeys..."       - S.Adams