Subject: Size of whales

Jen Philips (jphilips@soest.hawaii.edu)
Sun, 21 Dec 1997 07:52:10 -1000 (HST)

On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Hm1sw wrote:

> My wife and I were wondering, exactly how big do whales get?  If you could
> help, please let us know.  Thanks.  Respond to this address.

Aloha - how big do whales get?  I'm sure you can imagine, they come in all
different sizes, some species are smaller and some are bigger.  BUT, the
biggest animal ever to live on earth is the Blue whale, which can grow to
over 100 feet in length. Some dinasaur people think they might have found
a specimen that could have been bigger, but they only have part of the
skeleton, so noone can agree.  anyway, regardless, 100 feet is pretty big.
Other whales, such as the humpback, the minke, the gray whale grow to
about 50 or 60 feet.

Thanks for emailing whalenet.  Hope this helps!

Jen Philips

Jennifer D. Philips				jphilips@soest.hawaii.edu

Marine Mammal Research Program - HIMB		(808) 236-4001
University of Hawaii, Manoa
Honolulu, HI  96822	      "First, there were some amoebas. Deviant
			       amoebas adapted better to the environment,
			       thus becoming monkeys..."       - S.Adams