Subject: Re: Communicating with whales

KIm Marshall (kim@whale.org)
Fri, 26 Dec 1997 12:16:15 -0500

Dear Carolyn, The subject of human/whale communication is very popular and
although is not new, has been very difficult to study.  There are many
studies with dolphins where researchers use symbols and hand-signals to
communicate requests and vice-versa.  One of these organizations is Lou
Herman's Dolphin study in Hawaii.  You can contact the Dolphin Research
Center's Education Department and ask them for information on this subject.
Their number is (305) 289-1121.  You might also write to the dolphin
trainers at SeaWorld in Miami.

You might also try the Interspecies Communication organization at email
beluga@rockisland. com

I hope this information is helpful. Thank you for your question.  Kim

Dear Kim-

>I am a high school student with a keen interest in biology.  I have been
>asked to do some research into a topic of my choice.  My mother has told
>me that much is being done lately concerning humans communicating with
>whales.  Could you give me any suggestions on where I might find some
>information on this topic?  I would appreciate any help you could give
>me.
>Thanks.
>-Carolyn Sloan

Kim Marshall-Tilas                              (617) 259-0423
Whale Conservation Institute                   fax: 259-0288
191 Weston Road                                 website: www.whale.org
Lincoln, MA  01773		Are you a member of WCI yet?