Subject: Re: Whale Sighting off New Jersey

KIm Marshall (kim@whale.org)
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 11:57:57 -0500

Dear Lee, it is common to see Atlantic White Sided Dolphins off the
Atlantic coastline, if they were less than 10ft long and were showing a
triangular dorsal fin when they surfaced I would guess they were the
AWSdolphins.

If this doesn;t sound correct, please contact me with more details and I'll
find out.

Thank you.
Kim
___________________________________________________________Question
>Dear Kim;
>
>My wife and I just sighted a pod of approximately five (5) whales off the
>coast of New Jersey.  The sighting was off of the coast of Bradley Beach, New
>Jersey (lat/long 40:12:08N/74:00:45W) where we live.  The whales were headed
>north and when they surfaced, approximately fifteen (15) feet of their backs
>were visible above the water.
>
>I have lived on the Jersey shore for 34 years and this is the first time that
>I have ever seen whales in their natural environment.  I was wondering if you
>could tell me what type of whales these were and is it common that they should
>be seen here?
>
>Date of sighting:  12/27/97
>Time of sighting:  15:30 EST
>Movement:  NNE @ ~2-3 knots
>
>Thank you for your time.
>
>Lee F.

Kim Marshall-Tilas                              (617) 259-0423
Whale Conservation Institute                   fax: 259-0288
191 Weston Road                                 website: www.whale.org
Lincoln, MA  01773		Are you a member of WCI yet?