Subject: Animals Names Needed:

Tokitae (tokitae@bellsouth.net)
Sat, 10 Jan 1998 15:16:26 -0500 (EST)

>Can you give me the Dutch or Latin names for these animals ?
>
>archaeocete
>               Pakicetus inachus
>          beaked whale
>          beluga
>               beluga whale
>          dolphin
>               bottle nosed dolphin
>                    bottlenose dolphin
>               bridled dolphin
>               clymene dolphin
>               common dolphin
>               Fraser's dolphin
>                    Frasers dolphin
>               humpback dolphin
>                    Pacific humpback dolphin
>               northern right whale dolphin
>               porpoise
>               Risso's dolphin
>                    Rissos dolphin
>               rough-toothed dolphin
>               spinner dolphin
>               spotted dolphin
>                    Atlantic spotted dolphin
>                    Pantropical spotted dolphin
>               striped dolphin
>               white-breasted dolphin
>               white dolphin
>               white sided dolphin
>                    Atlantic white sided dolphin
>                    Pacific white sided dolphin
>          fin whale
>          humpback whale
>          killer whale
>               orca
>               pygmy killer whale
>          pilot whale
>          right whale
>          sperm whale

I do not have the reference books needed to look up the Latin names for
these cetaceans. This is a matter of going through one of several books and
jotting down each one. I would recommend The World's Whales by Minasian and
Balcomb, but there are others. They can all be found on the WhaleNet
bibliography. Maybe you can find a Dutch reference source to get the Dutch
names.

Good luck.

Howard Garrett
PAWS Lolita Campaign Coordinator