Subject: Oracas and Belugas

Peter Scheifele (scheifel@uconnvm.uconn.edu)
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 09:47:40 -0500

Dear Lindsay-

        It seems that moer and more folks are getting interested in Orca
these days.  As far as differences between orca and beluga, there are many.
There is a big difference in size both at birth and when mature.  Belugas
seldom weigh in at greater than 1300 lbs while orcas can go up to 3.5 tons!
Belugas are, on average, only 8 - 12 feet long but orcas are much larger
[some twice the size of beluga].  Belugas have no dorsal fin while orcas do.
Remember, both animals are cetaceans [whales] and odontocetes [toothed whales]!

I hope this helps-
Peter

At 05:14 PM 1/27/98 EST, you wrote:
>My name is Lindsay and I am nine years old. I am interested in killer whales.
>What
>are the big differences between killer whales and beluga whales?

Peter M. Scheifele
National Undersea Research Center
University of Connecticut
Bioacoustic Research