Subject: Sea Dwelling animals, How they look

Dagmar Fertl (Dagmar_Fertl@mms.gov)
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 07:46:30 -0500

     Dear Anastasia,

     Looking at your list, I can tell you one very easy way to tell the
     fish apart from the mammals in this list.  The fish have a tail that
     is in a vertical plane (is in a line top to bottom, tail moving right
     and left), whereas the mammal has its tail in the horizontal plane (is
     in a line left to right, tail moving up and down).  Mammals have to
     come to the surface to breathe air, that they take in thru their
     blowhole (which leads to the lungs), whereas fish use their gills to
     take oxygen straight out of the water.

     The southern right whale has a smooth back with no dorsal fin on it.
     This whale also has callosities (raised, roughened white patches of
     skin) on its head.

     The sperm whale has a huge, squarish head with a narrow jaw that has
     white lips to it.  The blowhole is tilted towards the left side of the
     body, so when it is a windless day, you can see the blow go off to the
     left side of the body, instead of straight, up and down like other
     whales.  The body looks crinkled.

     Orca, or killer whale, is a very distinctive animal, particularly
     because of its black/white markings.

     Dolphin.  You didn't specify whether you meant the fish (also known as
"dorado" or "mahi-mahi" or the mammal (and there are many species of dolphins).

For better descriptions on what makes all of the animals you listed "unique", I
would suggest that you browse back through the main page of WhaleNet for
appropriate links.  For links to sharks and marlins, I would suggest that you
use a good search engine like Yahoo.  If you have a more specific question, it
is then easier for me to give you a good answer.  The questions you have are
best answered by spending more time searching the web or looking through your
public or school library.

Hope this helps!

Dagmar