Subject: Orca Pods

Dagmar Fertl (Dagmar_Fertl@mms.gov)
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 09:58:50 -0500

     Dear Paul, thanks for your interesting questions regarding killer
     whales and for your continued interest in WhaleNet.

     For those of you who aren't familiar with killer whale social
     structure, just a brief recap.  A killer whale pod is very different
     from groupings of other dolphins (remember, the killer whale is the
     largest member of the dolphin family).  Most dolphins live in a fluid
     society, where associations between individuals are usually not
     long-lived, which means that if you should see "Whitecap" with
     "Scarback" one day together, it doesn't mean that you'll always see
     them traveling together.  Killer whales live in more of a family type
     group, which is matriarchially based (a female is in charge of the
     group, kind of like with elephants).

     1.  Orcas do not mate for life.
     2.  Males in a pod may be both fathers to some of the calves in their
     pod and fathers to calves in other pods.  I suspect that the latter is
     more likely the case, thereby reducing some inbreeding.  Animals do
     not conciously avoid inbreeding like humans do.
     3.  The strongest bond in any dolphin grouping is between a mother and
     her young calf.  There is no tie between the mother and father of a
     calf, because there is no assurance for the male that he is indeed the
     father of the calf, hence, see the answer to #1 above.  The female
     stays with the original pod that she was from.
     4.  Some research on killer whale pods has found that there are
     subgroups within the big pod.  There probably is a "leader" of sorts
     (again, remember it will be an older female)

Dagmar