Subject: Dolphins, where to see them

Dagmar Fertl (Dagmar_Fertl@mms.gov)
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 10:02:22 -0500

     Hi, just a reminder, in United States' waters, you are not allowed to
     swim, feed, or pet wild dolphins.  You didn't specify what exactly you
     meant by meeting wild dolphins.  You can see them via whalewatching
     trips in various locales (I can't tell exactly from your email address
     from where in the world you are writing) or swim with them in some
     locations outside of the United States.  Probably the most famous
     population of diver friendly dolphins is a group of Atlantic spotted
     dolphins in the Bahamas.  I'd suggest looking at the websites for
     Oceanic Society Expeditions and Wild Dolphin Project
     (http://wwwa.com/dolphin/) to do trips in those areas.  Both have
     dolphin experts associated with the projects, which to me, makes a
     trip a lot better than going with folks who might not understand
     dolphin biology, behavior, and ecology; it's a better learning
     experience and probably safer for the dolphins, since they probably
     aren't harassed as much.  I would also suggest contacting the Whale
     and Dolphin Conservation Society (http://www.wdcs.org/wdcs/index.htm)
     for information on dolphin/whale watches world-wide.  Erich Hoyt wrote
     an excellent overview and put a good package of information together.

     If you have a more specific question about where to see dolphins, let
     me know, and I'll see if I can help.

     Dagmar