Subject: whale respiration

Dagmar Fertl (Dagmar_Fertl@mms.gov)
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 15:32:40 -0500

     Dear Alex,

     Thanks for the question on whale respiration.  There seems to be great
     interest lately in whale physiology on WhaleNet.

     Earlier today, I answered a question about heart rate in whales.  You
     might want to refer to that answer in the ASK archives.  I had
     suggested some information relative to diving physiology.  For your
     question, I also suggest that you look up:

     Ridgway, S.H. (ed) 1972.  Mammals of the sea: biology and medicine.
     Charles C. Thomas, Springfield, IL.

     Though this book is old, it has some good information on whale
     respiration.

     It wasn't really clear from your question whether you were looking at
     the actual physiology (mechanics) behind respiration, what respiration
     is like during diving, or for respiration rates in general of whales.
     I think if you look through the literature and look up information on
     radio-tagged whales/dolphins, you will find information on respiration
     rates - lots of it in fact.  The NAVY has conducted and funded much
     research in this area.

     I hope this helps you get on the right pathway for collecting
     information.  I welcome you to send additional questions when you have
     more specific questions about this interesting topic.

     Thanks for sending your question to WhaleNet!

     Dagmar