Subject: toothed whales, what kind, life, whaling, etc.

Dagmar Fertl (Dagmar_Fertl@mms.gov)
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 09:30:28 -0500

     Dear Sarah,

     I'll do the best I can to point you to some sources to answer your
     many questions.  Your questions are quite broad, making them difficult
     to answer in a few sentences.  I also can't tell how old you are, so
     maybe some of the information that I'm going to suggest you look at,
     you might not be able to completely understand.

     1.  What kinds of toothed whales.
     There are roughly 68 species of toothed whales.  To describe them
     would take forever.  I can tell you that there are sperm whales, pygy
     and dwarf sperm whales, narwhals and belugas, beaked whales,
     mesoplodonts, oceanic dolphins, river dolphins, and porpoises.  I
     suggest that you look back thru the links that WhaleNet provides and
     see if you can find the information you are looking for that way.  I
     would also strongly suggest looking at the following book:

     Leatherwood, S. and R.R. Reeves.  1983.  The Sierra Club Handbook of
     Whales and Dolphins.  Sierra Club Books, San Francisco.

     That book has lots and lots of information that you will be looking
     for.

     2.  What is the life of a whale like.

     This certainly is a difficult question to briefly answer, especially
     since for many types of whales that are located in very deepwater, we
     cannot know for sure how they're spending their time (particularly
     since so much of that time is out of our view, underwater).  A whale
     has to find food, be able to detect and get away from predators, take
     care of its baby (if it's a female), etc.  If you have a more specific
     question, I welcome you to send that to WhaleNet, and I can do a
     better job of giving you the answer you're looking for.  The answer
     will depend on what type of whale (baleen vs toothed, dolphin vs
     porpoise, bottlenose dolphin vs Atlantic spotted dolphin, etc.), where
     it lives (close to shore vs open ocean, etc.), what age the whale is
     (baby vs 'teenager' vs adult), and so on.

     3.  What are the whaling days like.

     Do you mean for the whale or for the people? (just kidding).  There
     are many, many books about the whaling days of the past.  Whaling also
     occurs these days in some countries.  The following website can
     probably provide you links to what you're looking for (I bet that
     WhaleNet probably has some good links for whaling info, as well):

     http://whales.magna.com.au/links.html

     4.  Can baby whales survive...

     It will probably depend on how healthy that baby is.  For example,
     there is a gray whale right now at Sea World in San Diego that is
     being taken care of by people and will released when the gray whales
     make their migration, so that she can join them.  Another gray whale
     calf was sucessfully taken care of by Sea World a while back, and was
     seen in the wild with other gray whales after her release.  Some
     babies, however, are very sick when they are born or are found on a
     beach, and people aren't always able to take care of them.  The same
     sometimes happens for the baby's mom.

     5.  Why do whales travel in groups...

     I answered a similar question to this earlier today, so you might want
     to look at that answer as well in the archives.  Not all whales live
     in groups.  It is the toothed whales that are more social than the
     baleen whales.  There are a number of reasons that whales might travel
     or hang out together, but the big reasons are probably that is easier
     to find food and capture food if there are more of you looking for the
     food and working together to get it; protection against predators
     (it's not so easy to pick one animal out of a group versus if it is a
     solitary animal); and protection of babies - for example, adult sperm
     whales dive very deep for long periods of time.  If the babies hang
     out together, they're not alone (and not such easy prey for a
     predator) and an adult could stay with the babies to watch over them.
     Then the moms could possibly take turns 'babysitting' the calves.

     Hope all of this helps for your project.

     Dagmar