Subject: Fish, Does Lightning Strike Them?

Dagmar Fertl (Dagmar_Fertl@mms.gov)
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 15:04:45 -0500

     Hi Jamie, wow, what a question.  I asked a meteorologist friend at
     work about this one.  This is what we came up with.

     Fish can be killed by lightning.  Water conducts electricity really
     well (that's why they tell you to not play a radio or use a hairdryer
     in the bathtub or near water).  My friend told me that when she was a
     little kid, that sometimes kids would go to a nearby creek and catch
     fish and throw them into the swimming pool during a storm, and they
     certainly did die when lightning hit the water.

     We agree with you in one respect that it has something to do with how
     lightning travels in the water.  As you probably know well, lightning
     is attracted to metal and anything that is tall.  A swimming pool is
     reinforced with metal rods under the concrete, so that's probably why
     those fish in the swimming pool died during a lightning strike.
     That's also why you're not allowed to swim in a pool during a
     thunderstorm.

     We know that fish in creeks are in very shallow water and should be
     zapped by lightning pretty well if it was to hit the water.  We think
     that those fish probably don't get hit much since there are usually
     trees or something that would attract the lightning.

     A fish in the open ocean faces a different situation.  Salt water
     conducts electricity really well (has to do with the minerals and ions
     in the water).  We guess that when lightning hits the ocean's surface,
     the charge dissipates very quickly at the water's surface and probably
     isn't a big threat to the fish.  Also, anything floating on the ocean
     or standing in it (like a drilling platform or ship) would attract the
     lightning.  For that same reason, when I go out to sea to do whale
     research, as soon as we see lightning, we're told that we have to go
     into the inside of the ship because the ship would probably be easily
     hit by lightning (as well as any people standing up high on the flying
     bridge).

     Thanks for your really great question.  I learned a lot myself.  I
     know this doesn't really answer your question, but I hope it helps.

     Dagmar