Subject: Orcas, size

Dagmar Fertl (Dagmar_Fertl@mms.gov)
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 16:15:16 -0500

     Hi Andrew,

     According to the FAO Guide to Marine Mammals of the World (kind of
     like the bible for a marine mammal biologist):

     Newborn killer whales are 2.1 to 2.4 m in length and about 180 kg in
     weight.  Adult females are up to 8.5 m and 7,500 kg; adult males up to
     9.8 m and nearly 10,000 kg.  Dorsal fins may reach 0.9 m in females
     and 1.8 m in males.  Flippers can grow to lengths of up to 2 m in
     bulls.

     For information on girth, etc., I would suggest contacting someone
     with Sea World for specifics like that.  That's more detail than a
     field guide will provide, and such information may vary from
     individual to individual whale.

     By the way, for those of you not so good with metrics, to convert
     meters (m) to feet multiply by 3.281.  To convert kilograms (kg) to
     pounds, multiply by 2.205.

     Dagmar

Subject: Orcas
Author:  "Andrew Good" <A.Good@plymouth.ac.uk> at ~smtp
Date:    2/6/98 4:29 PM

A marine biologist friend of mine, Douglas Herdson, needs to know:

the typical dimensions (girth, fin size, etc.) of a female killer
whale of length 6 metres; and the dimensions of her (new-born) calf.

I found your name on a number of whale-related pages on the worldwide
web, and wondered if you could help?

Regards

Andrew Good
---
Andrew Good  +44 (0)1752 233975  fax 233919
Nudist, Morris Dancer, Bisexual and Numerical Analyst
but not necessarily all at the same time.

"Go barefoot, and you'll see your toes smile."