Subject: Pilot Whales

Dagmar Fertl (Dagmar_Fertl@mms.gov)
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 16:28:54 -0500

     I can tell you that there is long-finned pilot whale (Globicephala
     melas) and a short-finned pilot whale (Globicephala macrorhynchus).  I
     think you will need to go to the library to look up your questions.  I
     can suggest a few books.

     Leatherwood, S. and R.R. Reeves.  1983.  The Sierra Club Handbook of
     Whales and Dolphins.  Sierra Club Books, San Francisco.

     Jefferson, T.A., S. Leatherwood, and M.A. Webber.  1993.  FAO Guide to
     Marine Mammals of the World.  FAO, Rome.

     The International Whaling Commission put out a book, a special issue,
     on pilot whale biology.  I don't have the exact information at my
     fingertips, but that has lots of information.

     Pilot whales are primarily squid eaters, though they will take fish on
     occasion.

     Pilot whales are highly social.

     Pilot whales, particularly the long-finned ones, are the species most
     often involved in mass strandings.

     If you're looking for more information on the web, I'd suggest you look at
links provided for by WhaleNet.

Good luck!

Dagmar

Author:  JFenghle@aol.com at ~smtp
Date:    2/4/98 6:56 PM

Could you please tell me about pilot whales?  How do they act?  What  do they
eat? What is their scientific name etc.?  I need information on the pilot
whale for a research project.  Thanks.