Subject: school and marine biology

Dagmar Fertl (Dagmar_Fertl@mms.gov)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 13:02:24 -0500

     Meredith,

     While it is important to do well in biology, you actually need to do
     well in all the sciences, math, and English.  Perhaps what you're
     studying right now in biology is something that isn't really
     interesting to you, which is making it difficult for you to learn.  I
     had that problem when I took biology in college.  Funny enough, I
     actually did better in classes that weren't strictly biology based,
     but more based on ecology, psychology, or English.  As you probably
     figured out, I still managed to study and work with marine mammals.
     Just because you are interested in marine mammals, doesn't necessarily
     mean you need to be a marine biologist to work with them.  There are
     people with backgrounds in psychology who work with marine mammals,
     and there are people who volunteer at different marine parks (when
     they're older) who don't necessarily want to *study* marine biology,
     but are interested in it, and have learned about it.

     It's been really great to work with marine mammals.  I have worked
     with bottlenose dolphins in captivity (at a research lab at the Univ
     of HI) and have studied wild dolphins and whales.  I personally prefer
     to study the wild animals, because it's a chance for me to see the
     animals in their natural environment.  It can be lots of fun, but it's
     also lots of hard work.  For every hour you spend out on the boat, you
     probably spend 4-5 hours in an office analyzing the data you
     collected.  We don't get to swim with, feed, or pet the animals either
     (it's against the law to do so in the U.S.).

     I hope that answers your question, Meredith.  Hang in there with
     Biology.  General biology is an important foundation for later on.

     Good luck!

     Dagmar