Subject: oil/gas & marine mammals

Dagmar Fertl (Dagmar_Fertl@mms.gov)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 09:49:14 -0500

     Dear Nigel,

     As you are probably aware, your question is quite complex. Various
     marine resources are protected by a various laws including the
     Endangered Species Act and the Marine Mammal Protection Act.  Before
     oil/gas drilling may occur, under the National Environmental
     Protection Act (NEPA), an environmental impact statement (EIS) must be
     written.  The MMS' EIS's are huge volumes that list out the various
     impact producing factors and their potential impact on the resources,
     including an analyst's (an expert on that resource) opinon as to the
     impact of the proposed action.  I think your question would best be
     answered by turning to an EIS.  If you send me your address, I can put
     one of our latest EIS's in the mail, or your local library (and
     university library) will have access to them.  When I write my
     sections, I have to consider impact producing factors from the oil/gas
     industry like noise from helicopter and vessel traffic, operating
     platforms, and drillships; seismic surveys; explosive platform
     removals; oil spills; oil-spill response activities; discarded debris
     from service vessels and structures; anddegradation of water quality
     from operational discharges.  If for some reason, it was deemed that
     oil/gas drilling was threatening the survival of marine mammals in the
     Gulf, then action could be taken to stop the activity.  The U.S.
     Marine Mammal Commission reads environmental impact statements and
     provides lengthy comments on them which we must respond to.

     Since you are in an anthropology class, doing this project, you might
     best contact the anthropologist in our section:  Claudia Rogers.  Her
     email would be:

     Claudia_Rogers@mms.gov

     I hope this will be of some assistance to you,

     Dagmar