Subject: How to be a marine biologist

Dagmar Fertl (Dagmar_Fertl@mms.gov)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 10:38:15 -0500

     Hi Heather,

     If you look back thru the WhaleNet archives, you'll see I provided the
     address for a website with all the information you could possibly want
     on a career in marine mammal science.  I'd suggest that you take a
     look at that site, it's great.

     You live in Alabama and think you have to move to study whales and
     dolphins?  Most certainly not.  I have friends who study
     whales/dolphins in Alabama and Mississippi.  It is true though that
     there are no schools in that area dedicated to that kind of work, but
     there are few in the world that are.  You have to find a good advisor.
     At this point, I would tell you that it would be best to have a good
     biology background, b/c you'll always be able to find a job.  The more
     specialized you are, the harder it is to find a job.  It really
     doesn't matter what you major in, as you'll see from the suggested
     website.  It is important to get some experience working in the field
     of marine biology, so if there are any such opportunities at your
     university (you might need to be very persuasive), then jump at them.

     Hope this helps.

Subject: Please help me
Author:  HPullen579@aol.com at ~smtp
Date:    2/8/98 1:02 PM

Hello, my name is Heather, and I want to be a marine biologist.  I really
would like to work with whales (especially orcas), dolphins, ect.  I am in my
second year of college, what do you suggest I major in.  I live in Alabama, so
I would have to move to go to school and work in that field.  If you know of
any good schools for this purpose around or in Alabama please let me know