Subject: Communication of whales

Dagmar Fertl (Dagmar_Fertl@mms.gov)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 14:24:15 -0500

     Dear Scott,

     You kind of answered part of your own question.  One of the reasons
     that baleen whales make those deep, low frequency sounds is to
     communicate with each other over long distances.  Remember, baleen
     whales are not very social, and migrate over long distances.

     A prevailing hypothesis is that the song that humpbacks sing functions
     to attracts females to the male singer.  Others say that it is a way
     for females to choose males, whoever sings the most complex song
     represents the fittest male.  Recently suggested at the World Marine
     Mammal Conference in Monaco is that the social function of the song is
     primarily a display between males - like to establish dominance
     hierarchies.

     Your question is really a broad one, and there has been volumes
     written on it.  You might not be able to find everything on the web,
     and might need to check thru your local library which will surely
     locate lots of information.  I have found the following website to be
     useful for general searches like yours:

     http://www.northernlight.com

     Good luck!